Portraits and scenes of Max Gabel's great
production of "STEEL AND IRON
(Shtol un ayzn)," now playing at Gabel's Peoples Theatre on Bowery
and Delancey Street, New York. Telephone: Dry Dock 0858.
The most beautiful and thrilling play ever
produced in the history of the Yiddish theatre. Richer and more
impressive than the "Great Moment."
Every Friday evening and Saturday and Sunday
matinee and evening.
CAPTIONS, LEFT PAGE:
Top to bottom:
First: Jennie Goldstein.
Second: THE PARTING OF FATHER AND DAUGHTER -- scene in act 3.
Third: THE VISION OF THE EXECUTION OF HIS SON, SIDNEY -- scene in
Fourth: THE IRON MAGNATE INDUCES HIS DAUGHTER TO LIE, IN ORDER TO
SAVE HIS SON FROM THE GALLOWS. -- scene in the 2nd act.
Five, left: THE CHILD -- The light that breaks the darkness, when
all hopes of life are abandoned.
Five, right: The iron magnate, broken morally and physically,
obtains consolation in the return of his beloved daughter. A scene
in the 4th act.
CENTRAL SECTION, "THE HISTORY OF 'STEEL AND IRON'
TOLD IN PICTURES" (photographs are numbered):
1. MAX GABEL, as Nathan Frost, the iron magnate
whose exceedingly strong will and determination bring destruction
upon himself and his family.
2. FRANCIS SINCOFF, as Sadie Myers, the sweet reporter who hopes for
the worse, so as to have a sensation.
3. PETER GRAFF, as Hulke, his eldest son who turns drunkard.
4. CHARLIE COHEN, as Sam, his second son who becomes a slave of
5. MAX ROSENBLATT, as Sidney, his youngest son who becomes a
6. WILLIAM EPSTEIN, as Herman, his cashier and daughter's
sweetheart, who is shot by his friend Sidney.
7. MARY WILENSKY, as Mother Feige, who remains homeless.
8. SARAH FILLER, who betrays her husband.
9. JACOB HOCHSTEIN, as his doctor, who is brought into despair.
10. SOLOMON KRAUSE, as his lawyer who is dictated and derided by the
11. BERNARD BERNARDI, as Mr. Liebert his ex-partner, who is cheated
of his wealth by the Iron Magnate.
12. ESTHER GOLDSTEIN, as the servant girl who turns states evidence
against the Iron Magnate.
13. JENNIE GOLDSTEIN, as Birdie, his beloved daughter, who becomes a
14. MAX GABEL, as Nathan Frost, the Iron Magnate, who by his iron
will and determination brings destruction upon his family.
CAPTIONS, RIGHT PAGE:
Top to bottom:
First: Max Gabel, Director and General Manager.
Second: THE MURDER SCENE -- Act 1.
Third: The iron magnate compels his daughter, "Birdie," to mar the
spotless reputation of her murdered sweetheart. -- scene from Act 2.
Fourth: JENNIE GOLDSTEIN as "Birdie," the iron magnate's daughter,
and WILLIAM EPSTEIN, as "Harris," as her beloved. -- love scene from
Fifth: ON THE VERGE OF DESTRUCTION -- Act 2.
Sixth: The iron magnate bound for the governor's mansion, seeking a
pardon for his son, Sidney.